Media and Information Literacy: Day 5

        For our fifth day in Media and Information Literacy, our teacher asked us to make a draft of a time table about our exposure to traditional and new media. Our final work is to be presented through using online presentation software. My draft can be found below (I would be updating it soon):

0-5 years old: 
        Back when I was very young, I was already exposed to the television. I got up very early to watch my favorite shows.

6-9 years old:
        When I was around 6 years old, my mom recorded a video of me reciting a part of a poem. My parents would often use their cellphones to take pictures and send texts. Sometimes, they would let me play with it.

10-12 years old:
        Since I studied in a private elementary school, most of my classmates owned gadgets like iPads, iPhones and mp3 players. In our free time, they would sometimes let me borrow these gadgets for playing games.

13 years old:
        In my vacation as I graduated from my elementary school, my parents allowed me to have Facebook. This is also the time where they allowed me to use the computer for my entertainment or my studies. Our computer back then was pretty heavy and thick. Everything was pretty old so sometimes I had a hard time using it.

14-15 years old:
        During my high school days, my parents gave me my own cellphone so that I could inform them right away to where I was or what was I doing. My first phone had a keypad and some games that I played to pass the time.

16 years old:
        I now have an art page where I upload my digital drawings. Since I rarely go outside ever since I was young, I tend to spend most of my time in the Internet. Some of the websites that I frequently go to are either for interacting with people, watching anime, current events in our country or for my assignments.

       I've been exposed to media at a very young age since before I was born, we had a television at home that featured cartoons that I still watch today. The media influenced me in terms of the cartoons, movies and anime that I was watching as I grew up.

       In my opinion, exposing children to media (whether traditional or new) is actually a good idea. It helps them discover more about the world and have a preview about it. But, one must know the limits of exposure. Too much exposure can lead to future problems like addiction to media, lack of social interaction with real people or being emotionally unhealthy.

Update: Here is my final work of my timeline: https://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/947076/Exposure-to-Traditional-and-New-Media/

Image Source: https://blog.signwarehouse.com/four-reasons-your-sign-business-needs-more-media-exposure/

Comments

Popular Posts